My staff and I look forward to helping you each your weight loss goals through any of the bariatric procedures we offer. We believe the best options for long-term success are the Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Bypass, Duodenal Switch and Lap Band surgeries. Long-term success is what motivates and means more to me than performing surgery successfully. A successful, complication-free surgery is just the beginning of the journey. The start of a relationship aimed towards losing weight and keeping it off permanently.
We constantly receive compliments about our hospital; patients are very impressed with our modern facility and our higher standards. It is furnished with state of the art medical equipment; but best of all, operated by a certified, professional and caring staff. We strive to help patients through every aspect of their weight loss process, which will take them successfully to the ultimate goal: a healthier and happier life!
In finding a total solution to your surgical weight management you should look to factors such as the hospital facilities, and cost consideration without compromising the bariatric surgeon's experience and success rate. This will ensure you have the safest surgery experience with the best weight loss results possible. If you have a procedure done properly and safely it may be the permanent solution you have been looking for. When you sum it up, it will be clear who the right weight loss surgeon for you is, and you will make the right decision.
Dr. Alberto Aceves - Certified Bariatric Surgeon
Dr. Aceves is not only the Head of the Bariatric Program at nationally-certified Almater Hospital -in Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico-. More than 5000 weight loss procedures -including over 1800 gastric sleeve surgeries- credit Dr. Alberto Aceves, who actually serves as Proctor for worldwide-known Johnson & Johnson. labs and manufacturing company as well as sharing his knowledge about the gastric sleeve procedure with surgeons in different countries, attending continuous invitations to the subject's seminars and conferences world-wide.
Some of his academic achievements include:
• FACS Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
• Membership of the ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric surgery)
• Former president of Mexico's Bariatric Association
• Twice invited to the Gastric Sleeve Surgery Experts' Standards Conference, among the top 25 gastric sleeve surgeons
• Specialized in Laparascopic Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery, expert in Revision Surgery
Even US surgeons have traveled all the way to Mexicali in order to have Dr. Aceves perform sleeve and revision surgeries on them.
Mexicali Bariatric Center's new website is on!
The Mexicali Bariatric Center, one of Mexico's best options for weight loss bariatric surgery proudly presents its new website: www.mexicalibariatric.com. The just-launched website offers a very complete spectrum regarding the bariatric surgical procedures available at the hospital.
Aside from valuable information, the website offers detailed videos and images enabling the user to completely understand every procedure and treatment. The Center's founder and director, Dr. Alberto Aceves, is optimist about how the new website will be able to spread the word about Bariatric surgery practice and cutting-edge treatments for patients world-wide.
The procedures detailed on text and images on the new official website include Duodenal Switch Surgery, Revision Surgery, Gastric Bypass Surgery, Lap Band, and Gastric Sleeve Procedures. Dr. Aceves firmly states that the site's mission is to provide patients of the most-detailed info about all these procedures, as any decision regarding weight loss surgery should be taken once the most important information is known, like which individuals qualify for a proper procedure, what care should be taken before and after the procedure both in the short and long terms, "before" and "after" pictures of patients who underwent the procedure and other factors.
"Mexicali Bariatric Center's knowledge base is wide open through this website, so people are properly informed about weight-loss surgery. Our staff did a very hard work detailing every step of every method, thus bringing the most complete info online about this subject... And in case there's any doubt not covered in our website, our communication channels are open to solve any doubts or questions about the procedures via e-mail, phone or in person", adds Dr. Alberto Aceves.
The website also displays relevant data about Dr. Aceves and his staff, to make sure every single patient is being treated by the best doctors available, with a better than proper training in their craft. Other features to be found are written, photo and video testimonials, and tools to plan a proper surgery through financing info and written health tests. Even the best tips for your trip to Mexicali to become a pleasant stay and an experience worth remembering.
For more info, visit www.mexicalibariatric.com or call 1 888 344 3916. Mexicali Bariatric Center, the Americas' choice for Gastric Sleeve (VSG)*, Gastric Bypass (RNY) Lap Band and Revision Surgery.
*Gastric Sleeve Procedure (VSG): one of the newest kinds of bariatric procedures. It is also known as gastric sleeve resection, sleeve gastrectomy, vertical sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic sleeve.
VSG implies a removal of about 85% of the stomach; afterwards, this organ will be shaped as a tube or sleeve. This is a laparoscopic surgery done through five small incisions. Surgeon views through a small camera (laparoscope) inserted in one of these incisions. The stomach -with its new tube shape- is sealed with staples and the dr sutures over this staple line. Some cases imply a further procedure after a gastric sleeve surgery; these possible posterior interventions may include: a Gastric Bypass Surgery (RNY) or Duodenal Switch Surgery, depending on the amount of weight lost on short term after VSG. This "staged" approach reduces any risk had both procedures happen during the same surgery. According to weight lost on the immediate months after the first procedure, the second one should take place between 6 to 18 months after VSG.Am I a proper candidate for Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
The procedure is supported by well-documented studies of scientific hierarchy and is considered a primary bariatric procedure, just like the Gastric Bypass or "lap band". A patient with a BMI of 30 or more is considered a candidate for surgery. Overall health history needs to be taken into consideration as well. Gastric Sleeve Surgery may be an alternative for people not able to return to follow-up appointments, as required by lap band or Realize Band procedures.Before Weight Loss Surgery...
• Quit smoking at least 10 days before surgery. Otherwise, your risks of infection, blood clots, slower than normal healing, pneumonia and other life-threatening after-surgery complications increase. • Pe op Diet. Some patients are required to do a pre op diet for a week or more before being subject to this procedure. Surgeon will give you specific pre op instructions according to your BMI and medical history.How long does the surgery take?
The patient is under general anesthesia for the procedure, lasting an average of one hour.After surgery, how long will it take for me to recover?
A gastric sleeve implies an inpatient recovery time of a three nights at the hospital and total recovery taking up to 2 weeks. The abdominal region is often sore and swollen for several days. The patient will be prescribed pain-killers. Patients also undergo a readjustment to solid foods by taking a liquid-only diet for ten days, then 10 more days of full liquids, 10 days of soft foods and solids afterwards. Between six months to a year after Gastric Sleeve Surgery, on average our patients lose 94%of excess body weight. Also, patients with diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and/or sleep apnea show improvements after undergoing VSG.After recovery from VSG...
Patients are recommended to:
• Exercise with regularity.
• Learn any technique able to help modify their behavior (not only eating behavior but also related factors such as anxiety, depression, etc.).
• Follow specific dietary instructions for life, like: chewing thoroughly while eating slowly, consuming small quantities of food at a time, swallowing food only after it is completely mashed, as well as avoiding eating and drinking at the same time.Possible risks and complications derived from Gastric Sleeve Surgery
• Sleeve leaking. The procedure requires some internal stapling in the stomach; there's always a chance that some staples won't hold, thus a chance for leaking to happen. Leaking stomach acids frequently evolve into infection of surrounding tissue and/or other problems which may require the patient to undergo another surgery or draining through tubes.
• Blood clots.
• Re-gain weight. Stomach tissue can stretch.
However, it does have several advantages over gastric banding and other procedures:
• It avoids wound infection.
• There are no foreign objects left in the body as it happens with gastric banding surgery, in which bands may slip, erode or become infected.
• Different to gastric bypass or duodenal switch, gastric sleeve does not imply bypass of the small intestines, so all nutrients are absorbed and very little chance exists of absorption issues.Other "must know" facts about Gastric Sleeve Surgery...
• It's non-reversible.
• Does not require any adjustments.
• Do not induce nutrient malabsorption.Does my insurance cover this surgical procedure?
Insurers are beginning to cover the cost of gastric sleeve surgery in the US.About subsequent procedures...
Sometimes, the full extent of weight loss may not happen before undergoing a second procedure, such as a gastric bypass or a Duodenal Switch. The natural 2nd procedure after the sleeve is the DS. You should now that for some patients plastic surgery may become necessary after massive weight loss in order to remove excess skin and fat, thus providing the body of a shapely profile. Some common post-bariatric recurring procedures are arm lift, tummy tuck and body lift surgeries. **Body Mass Index is obtained dividing a person's weight by its height